Monday, March 2, 2009

HAZARD "LIZARD" HUNT RACE

My final day of February and 1st day of March were practically occupied by this event.  It is a race from checkpoint to checkpoint, well, just that it involves UTP only.  If you watch Amazing Race, you get what I mean.  My team is still the same old faces, me, Han Shen, Jeremy.  We hope to carry the momentum from finishing 2nd in last semester's Electrace.  But...  This Lizard Hunt was way much tougher!

Nonetheless, we met some of the UTP guards along our way.  We always dread to meet these people during ordinary days, because they will catch us for not wearing ID card, inproper attire (especially me and my slippers), and lately, I just had a parking fine from them!
But during the race, we SO WANT TO SEE THEM!  It was one of our tasks to get the signatures of at least 5 of them.
He doesn't seem so happy?  That ain't the way to sign autograph!  Cheer Up!
This was the fourth guard we met, and by then, frankly, we were all tired.  Too tired to smile for the camera.
But this is the last of the five guards we need!  How glad and relieved to see him.  You see, he was just about to drive away in his car when we saw him.  Phewwww!  I ain't gonna chase after his flashing red car if I were one minute late.
Along the way, I saw a very funny notice on the board.  It was a committee recruitment for some event.  Look at condition no.2.  GOOD LOOKING & APPEARANCE!
I laugh my lungs out when I saw it.  People who attended this interview must be as vain as peacock since they think they are handsome or pretty enough.  Oh, for the record, I didn't go for the interview, but my neighbour did!  Haha!
One of the souvenirs from the race.  Well, our ranking is still unknown at the moment.  But it was a tight race.  Top 5 teams might just be separated by 10 minutes.  Not sure if I were gonna get a prize, so I'll just keep this as my souvenir..
I had this car key with me all along the race.  Do you know how tempting it is to ILLEGALLY use my car during the race???
I ran practically almost 20KM in the whole race.  That's like to-and-fro Tronoh twice!
But I resisted the temptation, even though it meant flattening my legs.  The following Monday, I couldn't wake up for the 8AM tutorial.  But no regrets that I joined and I ran and I puffed in the race.
My ugly shoes after the race.  It doesn't look like an Adidas shoes anymore, more like Mud-idas..
Still, no regret!

But I learnt a lot of lessons in the race.
1.  Eat breakfast - I was dying on the first day because I skipped breakfast.  I fasted for almost 15 hours before the race.  I'm glad I ain't 6 feet under now.
2.Trust your teammates - I remember being blindfolded in the first task.  All I could rely on is my teammates.  When Jeremy was blindfolded while throwing water bags, I supposed he trusted me too.  That was why his first throw was too far because I said "Throw as far as you can".  Besides that, we went to wrong stations a couple of times, which cost us 20 mins, but it was a team decision, we went down together.
3.  Never give up - Remember how tempting the car key was when it was in my pocket throughout the race, but I didn't use it.  And also when you ran all the way but to the wrong station, best is pick yourself up and get things right.
4.  Appreciate the presence of security guards - You know I don't mean this!

1 comment: